What is League of Legends?
League of Legends is a so called MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) game by Riot Games. It was originally inspired by DotA, a Warcraft 3 mod/map. Some of the former DotA developers now work together with Riot Games to follow up the immense success of DotA.
League of Legends is free to play for everyone. However, there is a shop which allows you to buy custom skins for the ingame characters and some other items. Important: You can not buy any ingame advantages with real money. That means you can accomplish all goals in the game without spending any money.
League of Legends is based on the gameplay and idea of DotA. There are two teams consisting of 5 or 3 players each, depending whether its the 5on5 or 3on3 map, which try to destroy the enemy base. Each player chooses to play one of many champions with unique skills and tasks. Supported by minions and towers they have to destroy the enemy main building, the so called “Nexus”. Before you start playing you can improve your champions stats with runes and masteries.
A regular match on a 5on5 map takes between 25-60 minutes to finish. There are ranked matches which let you compete in an official ladder ranking. You will get a personal Elo rating from ranked matches. Also each champion pick in ranked games is unique the whole match. Picks and bans are turn based for the players and take place before the actual game starts. This picking method is called “Draft”.
In normal unranked games just as ranked games you will be automatically matched with players of your skill or similar, however you will not receive any kind of ladder rating for a victory or defeat. You will be able to pick any champion you want following the first-come-first choice principle. Also the enemy team can pick champions which are already picked by your team because champion picks are not unique in this game mode. This picking method is called “Blind pick”.
You can create “Custom Games” which is the League of Legends built in practice mode. Invite your friends or training partners or just wait for people to join your practice games. There are no punishments for leaves in custom games.
If you leave a ranked game during the champion selection your Elo rating will drop just as if you’ve lost a game, also you will receive a loss and a leave in you personal statistics. If you leave a normal game in champion selection you will be punished with a longer queue time next time you log in. The waiting time accumulates with the number of leaves. With these punishments Riot Games trys to prevent people from screwing up the game for the others.
Rewards and currency
After each game you receive so called “influence points” and “experience points”. You need influence points to buy runes and champions and experience points to raise your level to get new masteries, runes slots and new summoner spells. You can also buy riot points for real money. With these points you can buy champions or skins and other items. You cannot buy any kind of advantage over players that dont spend real money. It basically just speeds up your progress.
All players that hit the maxiumum level 30 are allowed to use the “tribunal” where you can judge reported players. If it comes to a punishment of certain players through the tribunal, the players get a temporary ban. If you judge well you also receive a small amount of influence points for every right decision.
Special features and differences from DotA
- There is grass and brushes in certain locations on the maps in League of Legends which allow champions to hide in it.
- In League of Legends you don’t have to run back to the base for buying or healing. You can always just use the free teleport-back spell.
- To make it easier for new players, every champion in League of Legends has a recommended items set in the shop interface.
- Dropping items is not necessary in LoL since you can just sell every item.
- Some of the buildings that get destroyed in League of Legends respawn after a certain amount of time.
- League of Legends supports multiple maps such as a 5on5 map, a 3on3 map and soon more maps which were announced by Riot Games.
- LoL offers fully and easily customizable key shortcuts. All champions have their spells on the same key set (default: Q, W, E, R)
- League of Legends in contrast to DotA is a lot more aggressive. The damage to life relation is generally a lot lower.
Champions in League of Legends (the most recent one is emphazised)
- Dr. Mundo
- Jarvan IV
- Lee Sin
- Master Yi
- Miss Fortune
- Twisted Fate
- Xin Zhao